Why is it important to monitor abuse of controlled substances while providing the right care for your pain patients?
OB/GYN using drug screening as part of their daily routine are increasing across America. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends physicians to test their patients for illicit drugs at their first prenatal visit so they can seek help and reduce complications during pregnancy and delivery.
Drug and alcohol abuse has a direct correlation with obstetric and pediatric complications. Birth defects and developmental disabilities due to prenatal alcohol exposure can be easily prevented in the United States. If more women are tested for alcohol and drug abuse, they are more likely to take action to stop it with appropriate support and education from their physician.
It is a moral and ethical obligation on obstetricians to implement a protocol for drug screening in their practice. No child should have to suffer for a lifetime due to birth defects that could have been prevented by taking the necessary steps of analyzing your patient’s urine or oral specimens for potentially harmful drugs.
If physicians are unaware of patient’s drug abuse, medical care can be jeopardized. For example, placental abruption may occur with cocaine use resulting in the harm of the mother and child, up to and including death. Women are less likely to take action or seek help if they are not screened and referred to a treatment facility or specialist.
You can make a positive difference in creating a safe environment for your expecting mothers and their unborn child by just adding a universal screening program to your practice.
What Does Helix Diagnostics Offer?
- Easy way to monitor compliance while you focus on quality care
- Repetitive accuracy and precision with Urine and Oral fluid drug testing
- The State of the Art (LC-MS/MS) technology used for monitoring over 40 different drug compounds tested to the lowest detection
- Results: Customized reports provided to you within 48 hours after receiving the sample. Easily accessible via web, email, fax, and EMR
- Helix Diagnostics specialists strive to lower the risk of prescription drug abuse in your practice.
- Helix Diagnostics gives providers an opportunity to speak to or have a scheduled in service by our expert panel consisting of toxicologists and science team to ask any first hand questions that you may have regarding your practice management.
- Our highly credentialed PhD scientists on staff have the expertise to guide your practice in the direction most beneficial to you.
- Individualized Test Orders: Customize your testing panel based on your needs.
- Helix Diagnostics provides you with a personable experience geared towards controlling drug abuse and educate both the patient population and physician practices on compliance.
- Real time support by highly trained customer service and science team to mitigate all your concerns one on one.